The old comfortable

Saturday, I turn 40 and get to spend the evening with some of the childhood friends that populate the memories floating through my daydreams. Right now, I’m smiling as I think of the conversations I’ve had recently while planning this get together. The voices on the other end of the phone are different and so are some of our waistlines, I’d imagine, but somewhere in our cores, there are still the same kids from school, church, birthday parties, and sleepovers. Here’s to being a kid again even if for just one night.

8 thoughts on “The old comfortable

1. Scott Ball October 5, 2017 / 3:23 am

Hey Robbie I just wanted to state for all to read on your website that 40 ain’t old brother! And l concur that acting your age is optional and adulting is overrated. I’m happy to hear you were able to get in the time machine for one night and have a get together with old friends. I was living in Kingsport, TN after Hurricane Katrina for my 40th so I didn’t have the opportunity to have a party, although I did have several good phone calls and the folks at church were mighty kind to me. If I’m still both above ground and halfway sane in 10 years, I’ll be happy to share with you some words of wisdom on the joys of turning 50. Until then, enjoy your 40s! Peace and love.

• robbievance October 5, 2017 / 7:28 am

Thank you, dude. I appreciate that. Be sure to be around for my 50th. I’m pretty sure if I’m still around, I’ll need some help with my AARP paperwork.

2. Christal Gregory October 2, 2017 / 3:40 pm

What a great night it was!! So glad that we were able to all get together and talk about old times. Looking forward to our next time together!!

Liked by 1 person

• robbievance October 3, 2017 / 7:13 am

That was a memorable evening, for sure. It’s like we stepped into 1992 for a few hours.

3. Claudette Jones September 27, 2017 / 10:06 am

No, you’re not an adult, and you are not old!
    Adulting is overrated! You may look πŸ‘€ like an adult, but you don’t have to act like one. In fact
    I know many individuals much older than you that haven’t reached that goal to date! It’s an optional thing! HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES to
    YOU!!!
    Mama Claudette

• robbievance September 27, 2017 / 10:19 am

Thank you, Mother Jones. πŸ™‚

You do a pretty fine job of cheering a fellow up.

4. Claudette Jones September 26, 2017 / 6:27 pm

Happy early birthday, Robbie! It is hard to believe that you are almost forty years of age!
    It seems like yesterday that you, Justin, and Parks set out to enjoy your post graduation vacation in Arkansas! From all accounts, you boys had quite a large time to say the least.
    As a mother, I shall never forget the experiences you three encountered, and I can imagine that I only had a small part of the story! Enjoy your youth, and have a wonderful birthday!
    Mama Claudette
    πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜ŽπŸŽˆπŸŽˆπŸŽˆ

• robbievance September 26, 2017 / 7:58 pm

Thank you. I can’t believe it either. I hope it doesn’t mean I’m an adult!